Monday 21 April 2014

Inspiration comes from predictable places

Tonight, as I flip through my possibly overdue library book (having no fines is seductive), im madly scribbling down recipe after recipe and working hard to convince myself I don't need a trip to the store and 3-4 hours of prep and canning. Its a hard sell.

Something about spring makes me want to DO things. Not useful things like cleaning my messy house, or...mostly that really, but outside things or cooking. I want to feel useful, get dirty, and enjoy the - literal - fruits of my labour.

I've spent the past few weeks feeling cheaply and healing as slowly as seems possible...but tonight I want to ignore my twinging thigh, aching ankle, and unsteady balance and get something done.

With that in mind I got out the library book that has had to wait until I could sit up long enough to take notes and got dinner on.

The smell of something yummy on helps my note taking skills...or something. I'm not picky, I'll take my motivation as it comes.

So, no gardening, but a recipe for yummy easy no-stove chicken. YMMV ;)

1 chopped up chicken (thighs, legs, wings, breasts - reserve carcass for pet food or stock)
1/2 an onion, rough chopped
3 stalks celery, rough chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed (lazily)
Chicken stock 2 cups ish (enough to cover the chicken prices in your Dutch oven or pot)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup preserve of your choice (I used grapefruit marmalade)

Cook onion, celery and garlic until they start to soften. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put in chicken peices, pour on preserves, cover with broth and lid. Cook on med 10 minutes.

Add tomatoes and season as you like. Cook another 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Serve over rice.

I also have gotten my starter going again, finally...although with our oven broken its not working too hard.

Dont keep your starter next to hot pots, jyst so you know. Mine was there long enough for the pic and that's it.

Happy cooking and gardening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment